1) “Most drugs are tested only on adults. More than half of all medications widely given to children have never been tested to make sure they are safe for them. Because of the lack of tests, doctors often guess at dosages, exposing children to toxic amounts of drugs.” -- White House Press Conference August 13, 1997
2) Dosing errors are common in adults and children, but “overdose errors” may be particularly likely in pediatrics. Doses are often derived from weight-based calculations, and physicians frequently err when performing these calculations. -- Kaushal R, Bates DW, Landrigan C, et al. Medication errors and adverse drug events in pediatric inpatients. JAMA. 2001;285:2114-2120; Lesar TS, Lomaestro BM, Pohl H. Medication-prescribing errors in a teaching hospital. A 9-year experience. Arch Intern Med. 1997;157:1569-1576; Koren G. Trends of medication errors in hospitalized children. J Clin Pharmacol. 2002;42:707-710; Koren G, Barzilay Z, Greenwald M. Tenfold errors in administration of drug doses: a neglected iatrogenic disease in pediatrics. Pediatrics. 1986;77:848-849.
3) “Chiropractic will continue to come to the forefront of health care, as a non-invasive, non-drug, safe way to improve the health and quality of the lives of children everywhere.” -- International Chiropractic Pediatric Association
4) The number of children receiving chiropractic care continues to rise. In one study, 73% of the parents of sick children reported that chiropractic benefited their children. -- © 2000 - 2004 Lowen Clinic
5) “More children are being treated with anti-depression medication than ever before, even though none has been officially approved for that age group,” said Dr. David G. Fassler, child and adolescent psychiatrist in Vermont. He went on to say that, “in 1999, not a single (antidepressant medication) has been extensively studied in juveniles.” Luvox is the mood-altering drug that 18-year-old Eric Harris (Colorado high school) was taking when he and 17-year-old Dylan Klebold committed the school massacre that ended with their suicide.
6) Trade journals applauded GlaxoSmithKline for creating "a strong anti-anxiety position" and assuring a bright future for Paxil. Increasing public awareness of SAD (social anxiety disorder) and other disorders, the consulting firm Decision Resources predicted last year, would expand the "anxiety market" to at least $3bn by 2009. -- Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2004
7) Kip Kinkel, an Oregon youth who killed two of his schoolmates as well as both of his parents, had formerly been taking the antidepressant drug Prozac. -- The Washington Times, April 3, 1999
8) State Senators in California are calling for research to find out why there was a 273% jump in children diagnosed with autism in the past decade. By Anita Manning / USA TODAY
9) Marie Bristol-Power, coordinator of the Network on Neurobiology and Genetics of Autism at the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development stated, “There is a sufficient number of credible people who have reported the appearance of a link between vaccine and autism, and we have to find out why.” Many parents today are becoming suspicious of the plausible vaccine-autism link due to the multiple vaccines given to their infants and children (up to 21 shots before they start school). -- USA Today, September 1999
10) The dramatic rise of autism has become an intense issue. Recent published reports of a vaccine-autism link confirm what a large percentage of parents of autistic children have claimed: their child's autism (including behavior and personality changes) occurred shortly after (a few days to weeks) their "well baby visit shots." The MMR (measles-mumps-rubella) vaccine has been increasingly targeted as the cause of autism, although a certain percentage of cases have been described after the Hepatitis B, Pertussis and other vaccines.
11) There is evidence that there are brain abnormalities wrought by Ritalin, and all psychiatric drugs. -- Source: Dr. Fred A. Baughman, Jr., Child Neurologist, and M.D., article written Feb. 4, 1998
12) If no physical examination, lab test, x-ray, scan or biopsy shows an abnormality in your child, they are normal. Educators, psychologists and psychiatrists do not diagnose actual diseases. -- Dr. Fred A. Baughman, Jr., Child Neurologist, M.D., Feb. 4, 1998
13) Relatively few substances are said to have the ability to control mood swings directly in the manner that prescription mood-stabilizers do. -- © 2001 Pendulum Resources and by the authors.
14) The Center for Disease Control’s (CDC) Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices has withdrawn its recommendation that infants receive the vaccine for rotavirus, a disease that may affect some children. This decision comes one week after American Home Products voluntarily pulled its vaccine from the market. An uncommon condition, with no known cause, intussusception occurs when one side of the intestine becomes folded within another. The condition can be fatal. Less than one year after gaining approval, the CDC and the American Academy of Pediatrics recommended that rotavirus vaccinations be postponed after receiving nearly two dozen reports of intussusception in children who had been vaccinated. Two months later, the FDA increased the number of suspected rotavirus/intussusception cases to 99, including two deaths that were caused by the disorder. -- Dynamic Chiropractic
15) Consumer Report documents a study of 316 babies with infantile colic who were treated with spinal adjustments. “Almost all were better within two weeks.” -- Pediatrics 2002 (May)
16) Evidence shows antibiotics are dangerous, and they are not effective in treating the middle ear infections. Researchers tested antibiotic therapy against placebos in otitis media. Evidence was found that children given antibiotics did not recover faster than those who received the placebo. Natural healing treatments may be as effective if not better than antibiotic treatment.
British Medical Journal, July 5, 1997, American Academy of Otolaryngology, Sept. 2, 1997 -- David Singer Enterprises
17) Chiropractic adjustments to the neck and upper back help restore proper motion to the vertebrae. Once proper joint motion is restored, elimination of nervous interference and drainage of the Eustachian tube can occur, allowing your body's immune system to effectively fight the infection. -- © Chiro.cc, All Rights Reserved.
18) The Journal of the American Medical Association found that Amoxicillin is not effective and concluded that children who took the drug for chronic ear infections were 2-6 times more likely to have a recurrence of fluid buildup. This generation of school children is the first generation to be less healthy and less cared for than their parents.
We as adults are responsible for the health and behavior of our children. Only 2% of children meet the national standard. -- USA Today Oct. 6, 1992
19) Interference of a nerve that goes to an organ will cause over activity or under activity.
The adjustment relieves the nerve allowing the body to function normally. All newborns should be checked by a chiropractor for subluxations. The birth process, even under optimal controlled conditions, is potentially a traumatic, crippling event for the fetus. Spinal cord and brain stem injuries occur often during the process of birth, but frequently escape diagnosis. -- Abraham Tobin, M.D.
20) Ritalin is a drug used to treat Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD). Studies find that Ritalin causes a high in the brain similar to cocaine. Under the Federal Controlled Substance Act, Ritalin is listed as a “Schedule II” controlled substance along with cocaine, methadone, opium, morphine and amphetamines. Ritalin has many side effects including: stunting of growth, depression, insomnia, nervousness, skin rash, anorexia, nausea, dizziness, headaches, abdominal pain, blood pressure and pulse changes and Tourette’s Syndrome (a permanent irreversible condition characterized by body tics, spasms, screaming, saying obscenities and barking sounds). -- Today’s Chiropractic, March/April 1997, by Eric H. Plasker, D.C.
Cause of subluxation:
21) “In many cases, it takes months or years to generate symptoms from a condition… It takes time to heal.” – Dr. Len Schwartz
22) 90% of the stimulation and nutrition to the brain is generated by the movement of the spine. This would be analogous to a windmill generating electricity. -- Dr. Roger Sperry, Noble Prize recipient for brain research
23) Interference to the “nervous system” results in permanent damage in a short period of time and therefore, chiropractic care should begin at birth on a preventive basis. -- Dr. Arpad DeNagy, Rockefellar Institute
24) “Health” is a condition of wholeness in which all the organs of the body functioning 100% all of the time. -- Webster’s Dictionary
25) Americans spend $70 billion on drugs and $73 billion to treat the side effects of the drugs. - &ocpy; 1997-2002 Dr. Joseph Mercola.
26) A random sample of Americans 18 years and older, 10% had gone to a chiropractor within the last 12 months. Of people with back problems, 36% had used alternative care, including chiropractic and massage. In fact, chiropractic can hardly be called "alternative care" anymore. It is a well-established form of treatment for musculoskeletal disorders. -- 2002 W. Bradford DeLong, MD
27) Over 600 million patients (as of the end of 1998) in the past year have chosen to treat such ailments as back problems, anxiety, depression, sprains, strains and insomnia, etc. without medication. Instead these patients have chosen chiropractic. -- USA Today
28) " Chiropractic treatments realign and mobilize joints in order to correct and prevent osteoarthritis . Adjustments also aid those with rheumatoid arthritis by increasing the range of joint motion." -- Dr. Mark Kavett
29) According to the Agency for Health Care Policy and Research, spinal manipulation is the best treatment for acute lower back pain. The cost for medical care is significantly higher for back injury than when treated by chiropractic care. -- Chicago Sun Times - Thursday, Dec. 8, 1994 and Journal of Occupational Medicine Vol. 33, No. 8, Aug. 1991
Benefits of Chiropractic Care
30) The chiropractic patient has a 200% greater immune-competency than people who had not received chiropractic care. -- M.N.M. “Study by Dr. Ronald Pero, Ph.D 1975
31) Every function of the human body is under control of the nervous system. Its function is to coordinate all the other organs and structures and to relate the individual to its environment. -- Grays Anatomy, 29th Edition, Page 4
32) “There’s nothing medical doctors can do that the human body can’t do by itself, given time.” -- British Medical Journal, No. 7104 Volume 315, August 9, 1997
33) Due to computers, carpal tunnel syndrome is becoming the #1 work related injury. -- Jan. 1994 Ward, L. Spinal Column Stressology Journal of the Nutrition Academy, 1994
34) A story of a national telephone survey conducted by Media General Research in December 2001, in which it was revealed that consumers rely most on chiropractic as the number one natural, non-drug choice for most pains and injuries. -- Feb. 21, 2002 PRNewswire
35) Medical treatment for a back injury in this country costs 8-1/2 times more than chiropractic care for the same injury. -- U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Dr. Robert P. Lynch, ANA News Release 4/12/96
36) When asked about the chances for success with spinal surgery, Dr. Eugene Carragee, at Stanford, who says he performs the operation only on a select group of patients who have been carefully screened, estimates that less than a quarter of the operations will be completely successful. -- New Yorker online, April, 8, 2002
37) Posture is one of the most overlooked keys to better health. It improves our emotions, fitness and ability to think. It can actually help to reverse the aging process. -- Grail McGinley, Newsday, Melville, NY
38) "For years, parents have told their children to 'stand up straight' without really knowing why it is so important," said Dr. Jerome McAndrews, spokesperson for the ACA. "Poor posture can result in not only muscle pains, strains, spinal problems, decreased lung capacity and digestive problems, but it can also negatively affect a child's self-image as well. While standing up straight seems like an obvious way to correct poor posture, there are so many other activities that make up a child's daily routine that can have an impact on their spinal health." -- © 2004, American Chiropractic Association.
39) Taking more than 1,000 acetaminophen in a lifetime or more than 365 per year appears to double the odds of developing kidney disease. -- N.E.J.M.
40) Each year approximately 2.2 million US hospital patients experience adverse drug reactions (ADRs) to prescribed medications. -- All Contents ©1995-2004 Life Extension Foundation
41) Dr. Paul Welton of the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health states, “If a drug has some beneficial effect, it is likely to have some adverse effect.” -- USA Today Dec. 1994
42) The neck plays an important, but largely ignored role in the manifestation of adult headaches. -- Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, Sept 1992
43) Chiropractic research on HIV positive patients revealed that those who received chiropractic care showed a 48% increase in CD4 immune system blood cells compared to those who did not receive chiropractic care. -- Doctors: Selano, Pfleger, Peeley, Grostic. 2003
44) Magnesium poisoning from Maalox and Mylanta produces symptoms such as clumsiness, weakness, paralysis, drowsiness, confusion, and coma. -- Chicago Associated Press
45) The incidence of asthma has risen 73% between 1982 and1994. -- Paula Lozano, University of Medical School, Seattle, Washington
46) "Cervical spine manipulation was associated with significant improvement in headache outcomes in trials involving patients with neck pain and/or neck dysfunction and headache." - Duke Evidence Report, McCrory, Penzlen, Hasselblad, Gray (2001)
47) “Intelligence is present everywhere in our bodies...our own inner intelligence is far superior to any we can try to substitute from the outside.” -- Deepak Chopra, M.D.
48) In 2000, reactions to drugs were the fourth leading cause of death in the United States. This puts reactions to drugs in the ranks of lung cancer, heart disease and stroke. Lack of full knowledge of the effects of prescription drugs coupled with a somewhat lackadaisical approach to the use of prescription drugs is a volatile combination. -- Robert H. Shmerling, M.D. A perspective from Harvard Medical School. January 22, 2003.
49) Scientists have found evidence that stress can suppress the immune system. There is convincing evidence that the brain communicates with the immune system and the immune system talks with the brain.” -- Lexing Herald-Leader, Sun., Nov. 26, 1989
50) In one study, women receiving Chiropractic care through their first pregnancy had 24% shorter labor times than the group not receiving Chiropractic, and multiparous subjects reported 39% shorter labor times. Thirty-nine percent-that's a massive difference. In addition, 84% of women report relief of back pain during pregnancy with Chiropractic care. -- © 2000 - 2003 Planet Chiropractic.
51) Regular adjustments can make pregnancy less stressful and delivery more comfortable. -- Dr. Mariangela Penna, D.C., ACA Journal of Chiropractic, Nov. 1989
52) “If drugs are harmful enough to stop when you’re pregnant, what makes them less harmful when you‘re not?” 2002 Bay Area Wellness
53) 3 million hospital patients are injured by medical accidents each year. The cost of those injuries is $200 billion, and the human cost is high. The chance of dying in an aviation accident is 1 in million, while the risk of dying from a medical accident is 1 in 200. -- Ed Edelson New York
54) PMS affects 50% of women of childbearing age.
Severe case of PMS disappeared after chiropractic treatment.
Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, Mar/Apr., 1991
Case study: after 11 chiropractic adjustments, the frequency of hot flashes declined. -- Journal of Vertebral Subluxation, Vol. l, No. 2, 1996
55) Since the 1960's when the vaccine for rubella was introduced, 10% to 40% of women now experience joint disorders after getting the vaccine. -- The Lancet, May 3, 1997
56) Each year there are about 10 deaths from whooping cough and at least 943 deaths per year from the vaccine. Other conditions that may develop as a direct result from vaccination are developmental delay, learning disabilities, hyperactivity, behavior disorder, autism, epilepsy, and profound retardation. -- Cournoyer, C. What About Immunization? Exposing the Vaccine Philosophy
57) Nearly all cases of polio since l980 were caused by the oral polio vaccine. -- USA Today
58) The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that 2 million people annually acquire infections while hospitalized and 90,000 people die from those infections. -- ©2002, American Iatrogenic Association
59) 180,000 people die each year due to doctor negligence compared to 30,000 who die from gun assaults, suicide, and accidents. -- Harvard Medical Practice Study
60) Adverse drug reactions are responsible for 119,000 deaths each year. 8 million people are hospitalized annually for diseases caused by prescription drugs administered by a medical doctor. -- Archives of Internal Medicine, Oct. 9, 1995
61) Pain is the last signal your body gives you when something is wrong.
Two of every three work-related illness or injury claims involve the neuromuscular system.
According to the Foundation for Chiropractic Education and Research, chiropractic treatment is 84% less costly than medical care and the duration of disability is 48% shorter for chiropractic patients. -- February 1999, David Singer Enterprises
62) At American Western Life Insurance Company in Foster City, California, insurers are discovering that offering an alternative health insurance program actually lowers medical bills, according to Marcel J. Hernandez, N.D, who directs their Wellness Programs. American Western now offers a policy that enables policyholders to make reimbursable medical visits to any of 2,000 alternative practitioners, as well as conventional doctors. “We can afford to offer this type of insurance to the public only if our client’s take an active hand in making their own health care decisions,” says Dr. Hernandez. If the majority of American insurance companies willing to do the merest of calculations, they would realize that the future of affordable and profitable health insurance lies with alternative medicine. -- www.garynull.com September 1999, David Singer Enterprises
63) 63% of chronic arthritis sufferers use “complementary and alternative medicine”.
Chiropractic was the #1 choice of these therapies with almost 31% trying chiropractic at least once. 73% of the patients in the study found chiropractic to be helpful. Curiously, only 45% of these patients informed their primary physicians about their alternative treatments. -- RaoJK, Mihaliak K, Kroenke K, Bradly J, Tierney WM, Weinberger M. Use of Complimentary Therapies for Arthritis Among Patients of Rheumatologists. Ann Intern Med 1999; 313:409-416 David Singer Enterprises
64) Four Democratic members of the House Commerce Committee in a letter released March 10 stated, “We are concerned that the rapidly exploding trend of online pharmacies may be outpacing formal state and federal controls, raising a host of serious issues.” The Congressional action came just after Terry Rondberg, D.C., published a commentary on the problem. Dr. Rondberg stated, “...The willingness of doctors and pharmacists to prescribe or sell drugs over the internet trivializes the dangers inherent in these drugs. It puts medication on the same level as shoes and television - items which can be bought by anyone with a modem and a credit card.” -- Health Watch, Vol. 3, No. 12: Letter from members of Commerce Committee to David Walker, Comptroller General of the United States, U.S. General Accounting Office, March 2, 1999
65) As a result of its' accomplishments in treating back and neck problems, headaches, and sports-related injuries, Chiropractic is the most widely practiced branch of complementary medicine in the West (over 70,000 Chiropractors worldwide). -- International Chiropractic Association: 2001
66) Americans who sought care from a chiropractor were more likely to be very satisfied (63%) with their care than those who visited any other practitioner. Those who saw both a medical doctor and chiropractor were more likely to be satisfied with the care of the chiropractor than that of the medical doctor. -- ACA Press. 2004
67) Job prospects are expected to be good for persons who enter the practice of chiropractic. Employment of chiropractors is expected to grow faster than the average for all occupations through the year 2012 as consumer demand for alternative healthcare grows. -- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, March 21, 2004
68) Seven in ten American (70%) think it is important that their healthcare plan include chiropractic as a basic benefit. -- Adapted from ACA’s booklet, American Perceptions of Practitioners & Treatments for Back Problems, David Singer Enterprises
69) The Chiropractic approach is very effective at stabilizing the spine, preventing the curve from progressing. At least 70% of the patients achieve some degree of reduction in the size of the curves. Approximately 15% of Scoliosis patients achieve total correction. -- © 2000 - 2003 Planet Chiropractic.
70) The high levels of chiropractic patient satisfaction are significantly unprecedented when weighed against the failure rates of low back surgeries. -- Chiropractic for Low Back Pain: An Alternative to Surgery; Callahan & Cianciulli; Foundation for Chiropractic Education and Research, Publication #9676
71) More than two million Americans become seriously ill every year because of toxic reactions to correctly prescribed medicines taken properly, and 106,000 die from those reactions, a new study concludes. If the findings are accurate, then the number of people dying each year from drug side effects may be exceeded only by the numbers of people dying from heart disease, cancer and stroke, and may be greater than the number dying from lung disease, pneumonia or diabetes. -- Washington Post, Rick Weiss
1. Exercise Regularly- This does not have to be anything overly strenuous. Something as simple as a daily walk can make a huge difference.
2. Eat A Healthy Diet- Proper nutrients allow the body to repair itself easier
3. Maintain Good Posture- Are you sitting up straight as you read this?
4. Stretch Your Spine Before And After Sports- This will also help to loosen up the surrounding muscles.
5. Don't Overload Your Backpack Or Purse- Remember to carry it over both shoulders to balance the load (if possible).
6. Stretch Your Legs And Back After Each Hour Of Sitting- Whether in a car or at a desk, stretching regularly will help to keep you from tightening up or injuring yourself further.
7. Never Cradle The Phone Between Your Neck And Shoulder
8. Sleep On Your back Or Side, Not On Your Stomach- This helps to keep your spine in line and reduces the risk of hurting your neck while you sleep.
9. Invest In A Good Chair, Pillow And Mattress- When you think about the amount of time you use these things each day, it's worth it.
10. Have Regular Spinal Check-Ups- It's much easier to prevent a problem than to correct one.
HERE ARE SOME INTERESTING TIDBITS TO MAKE YOUR LIFE EASIER & MORE INTERESTING...
© 2016 The Back Stop